FreeBSD

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Mon Jul 19 14:21:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 6:53 AM ezekiel motta <ezekielmotta017 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD Foundation
>
> Hope you are all doing well.

[...]

I could install NomadBSD/GhostBSD/, but I would prefer to install FreeBSD
> from the people that have developed
> FreeBSD. I do not like forks, I think they are a bit parasitical.

Actually that's not the case at all.

Think of FreeBSD as the base from which many other great things can be
derived from.

For example the macOS you use today, derived originally from FreeBSD as
well. You could make the case that Apple is parasitical, but truth be told
they do maintain quite a few Open Source projects that eventually find
their way back into the community such as CUPS, etc. Oracle is probably a
better example of parasitical to Open Source.

Anyway, there are great derivatives of FreeBSD that constantly stay updated
with the official source of truth which is the FreeBSD project.

I do agree with you that I would wish that something like
https://elementary.io would be based on FreeBSD and not Linux but that
dream has not come true yet.
In the meantime, I continue to use macOS on my laptops and desktops and
FreeBSD on my servers.

--
Alejandro Imass