What the hell starts pulseaudio?!

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Thu Jul 15 11:32:03 UTC 2021

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:23:06 +0200, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
>if [...] you can shape it as you like, no need to complain, just make
>it happen [...] all others packages will have dependencies met and you
>will not have pulseaudio running, huh? :-)

I'm not complaining, I dislike steps into wrong directions.

1. I will not get in contact with pulseaudio upstream and argue related
   to anything.

2. I build dummy packages nearly a decade ago, when it was introduced
   to Linux and never suffered from pulseaudio. For the OP doing
   something like this is seemingly what I called a "dirty hack", for me
   it's a clean workaround.

3. For almost everything pro-audio related I anyway migrated from Linux
   to Apple and I don't care much about desktop audio.

   The migration happened, because the advantages of FLOSS in some
   domains make way for the same disadvantages, that we experiences with
   software for proprietary operating systems, but without providing
   the advantages of those proprietary operating systems.

4. Likely the near future for Linux audio will be PipeWire or something
   similar. The toy pulseaudio, but even the pro-audio sound server
   jack likely will become obsolete for several reasons. It probably
   will have some impact on FreeBSD, too.