What the hell starts pulseaudio?!

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Thu Jul 15 08:05:20 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, 07:31 Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:35:19 +0000 (UTC)
> Rodrigo Readi via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> >

> > > Have you tried setting:
> > >
> > > autospawn = no
> > >
> > > in ~/.config/pulse/client.conf ?
> >
> > No. And I repeat: I do not like that solution. I see no reason for a non
> > necessary daemon to start and restart without my will.
> >
> > If firefox is what starts it, firefox must be fixed.
>
>         It is not firefox as such, it is the pulseaudio client library
> which comes into play because firefox is linked with it (it is a build time
> option). If you want firefox without the pulseaudio library you can have it
> but you'll almost certainly have to build it from source to get a build
> without pulseaudio.

exactly, just make config at www/firefox port, unselect pulseaudio, make
reinstall.

however if you use pkg this will get replaced with a binary with pulseaudio
enabled after pkg upgrade when new version shows up. you can pkg lock
firefox then and update it from ports. there are no "build configuration
varianted" packages yet in FreeBSD, but you can help make that happen -
then you could simply pkg install firefox prebuilt binary with no
pulseaudio variant.

this is why disabling pulseaudio client autospawn in local config file
seems simples solution and gives you want you want.