KDE/Plasma + sddm: graphical login pauses a while, then restarts.

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:10:26 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:47 PM Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> thx for your response:
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/2021 06:40, Michael Schuster wrote:
>>
>> > login screen reappears.
>>

>> This happens if you choose 'Plasma (Wayland)'.
>>

> not so, I'm afraid - I've been using X11 all along (I *may* have
> inadvertently started Wayland once or twice a while ago before I noticed
> the choice)
> I know I saw /usr/local/bin/startplasma-x11 in the process list when I
> tried this just now - is is possible that something got screwed up and is
> trying to start something Waylandish? Where would I check?

I did some research, perhaps this will help someone point me in the right
direction:

~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log from the failing session proceeds
until I see this:
=== begin quote ==
[...]
kscreen.xrandr: Output 86 : connected = true , enabled = true
kscreen.xrandr: Emitting configChanged()
org.kde.kmix: Mixer id was empty when creating DBUS path. Emergency code
created the id= "OSS:::1"
[ four more ]
org.kde.kmix: Mixer id was empty when creating DBUS path. Emergency code
created the id= "OSS:::1"

... when output (tail -f) pauses for a while (a minute?), then carries on
here:

kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from
launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from
launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'

.. then again a pause, then this:

QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/local/bin/plasma_session") is
still running.
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("ksplashqml") is still running.
=== end quote ==

as previously, TIA for any pointers leading to a solution.

Michael
--
Michael Schuster
http://recursiveramblings.wordpress.com/