Moving From 11-Stable to 12-Stable

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Tue Jul 13 19:57:01 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:37 PM Tim Daneliuk via freebsd-questions wrote:
> It's that time again, so - as always - the same questions:
> - Will this upgrade require recompilation of all ports (I do not use packages)?
> - Anything else tricky about this?

If possible move to 13 it works better than 12 and has some graphics
improvements already in place (intel works better but still amdgpu
seems useless on modern card) :-)

I have upgraded from 11 -> 12 -> 13 with no problems. Yes you will
have to rebuild your ports after upgrade (I am using pkg).

If you are using drm-kmod for intel disable loading this one in
/etc/rc.conf before upgrade, perform upgrade, rebuild from ports, then
try by hand if that works. ABI changed and this module caused some
pain including kernel panic in a loop on mounted filesystem on 12.

Good luck :-)