Goodbye

David Raver david.raver at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:29:54 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 11:00 PM Simon Hoffmann <freebsd at simonhoffmann.net>
wrote:

> One last mail and I promise to never bother you again.
>
> Did you just one day fall out of bed and knew how to use Linux perfectly?

Nope. It was like that:

1. The installation went perfectly. Meaning: after the installation the
desktop showed up. I would've settled for shell and one command, say
"install desktop", even if it didn't. Show up in the first try, that is. I
wouldn't have settled for an equivalent of typing what should've been put
into a shell script anyhow.
2. I was able to start using it, learning little by little without reading
books about it.

> Are you able to use all different Linuxes to the same degree and know
> everything

No, not to the same degree. But I'm pretty sure the procedure would've been
pretty similar to the one I described above.

> there is to know? So are you a master/doctorate in Debian, Suse, RHEL,
> Fedora, ... to
> use your words?

Not by a long shot. I never claimed that. I'm merely a lowly developper,
like I also described. But... I'm used to a certain set of tools and
behaviours.

> Oh, and you also spoke about Windows. So I guess you are also a Microsoft
> MVP?

No. But somewhat similar tools I mentioned above are available on Windows
also. So I don't complain too much. I'll also concede that most of the
ifdefs in my project are due to Windows functionality. But I managed that
also.

> Because you cannot tell me that a Linux install, whatever the distro, has
> everything
> set up exactly the way you want it to be out of the box and automatically.

I never claimed that. Moreover, if you're still prepared to listen...

I'm pretty sure that if I had a desktop (preferably KDE) set up on any of
the BSDs, I most probably wouldn't even had known the difference between
that and my current Linux. Because that was my aim in the first place:
merely verify that my project builds and runs on BSD. Moreover, I'm pretty
sure that someday I'll do it. Successfully. I just have to cool down a
little and find a distribution that meets my needs.

D.