Goodbye

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at wavecable.com
Sat Jul 10 19:38:41 UTC 2021

On 7/10/21 12:05 PM, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> BSD are general purpose (server, desktop, embedded) system for
> advanced and aware users. Default installation won't do anything for
> you except default base installation, nor the OS won't do anything
> until you command it to do something. After FreeBSD install you only
> get standardized base OS that you can then customize and adapt. But
> when you do its rock solid. This is the strongest part of BSD. If you
> don't like that philosophy probably it may not be the best OS for you,
> or it's not the time yet. Sorry that you feel disappointed. It
> requires some skills, knowledge, and persistence to learn new things.
> Probably the error was on your side (it always is in my case I
> shamefully admit). I have several workstations upgraded from 9.0
> release upwards with no problem for many many years. I write this
> email from a machine that started at FreeBSD 10 and went up through
> all minor releases up to 13.0. But it is you who is responsible for OS
> management, understanding how things work, so they work as you want.
> FreeBSD is "raw" OS, some people love it for that, some people prefer
> Linux with easy "click and do it for me" approach, some people work
> with Open-Source on Windows.

<snip>
I used FreeBSD from 0 up to 10.  Then, moved to Linux for an application
that was too difficult to port.

Now, I have a problem with Linux.  I can not stop it from accessing the
net for various and sundry reasons.  Sending things to kernel.org.
Downloading updates.  Checking and reporting to me the status of
updates, etc.  I have several hours in this.  Maybe I should have put
more effort into the port...

So, I am back to FreeBSD 13.

Tom Dean