Goodbye

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Jul 10 19:05:30 UTC 2021

BSD are general purpose (server, desktop, embedded) system for
advanced and aware users. Default installation won't do anything for
you except default base installation, nor the OS won't do anything
until you command it to do something. After FreeBSD install you only
get standardized base OS that you can then customize and adapt. But
when you do its rock solid. This is the strongest part of BSD. If you
don't like that philosophy probably it may not be the best OS for you,
or it's not the time yet. Sorry that you feel disappointed. It
requires some skills, knowledge, and persistence to learn new things.
Probably the error was on your side (it always is in my case I
shamefully admit). I have several workstations upgraded from 9.0
release upwards with no problem for many many years. I write this
email from a machine that started at FreeBSD 10 and went up through
all minor releases up to 13.0. But it is you who is responsible for OS
management, understanding how things work, so they work as you want.
FreeBSD is "raw" OS, some people love it for that, some people prefer
Linux with easy "click and do it for me" approach, some people work
with Open-Source on Windows.

Linux can do something for you but then it's not always what you want
and things will break for sure after several updates. See kernal api
changes with every minor release. See UX/UI changes enforced on most
popular distros (i.e. Ubuntu). Also beware of kernel/libc/glibc impact
on all system components, or even worse
quick-and-dirty-bleeding-edge-hacks that only works in one particular
case on particular version of Linux. Not to mention Windows or MacOS
because they are closed source so you cannot customize the OS itself.
BSD is the best environment to test software quality, so the idea to
test software portability on *BSD in the first place (there are
various flavors like OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD derivatives like
MidnightBSD, DragonFlyBSD, etc) is the best idea you can have. Good
approach. I also work like this not only with various computer
software components but also embedded toolchains for firmware
development on various CPU/MCU architectures (i.e. Zephyr RTOS, ARM
MBED, FreeRTOS, Arduino, etc).

In software world things break occasionally. Show me a commercial OS
that has no problems. Maybe you need more time to understand how
things work here? :-)

If you simply want to test compilation on FreeBSD based OS that has
already the Xorg in default install and provides live media that "just
boots what you need" try MidnightBSD :-)

https://www.midnightbsd.org/

I hope that you will eventually come back to FreeBSD (or its
derivative) one day.. and then you will know why :-)

Take care! :-)