LPD with issue

Hans Ottevanger hans at beastielabs.net
Fri Jul 2 19:40:13 UTC 2021

On 7/2/21 11:13 AM, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Last yesr or may be before I ask you about LPD configuration.
>
> Since a time I can't remember Ƣ have an issue. Before printing the document I
> wat there is a page with garbage "jjj aaaa cccc qqq q u u eeee sss".
>
> This is annoying to use a page for nothing.
>
> My /etc/printcap:
>

> lp:\
> 	:lp=9100 at 192.168.1.176:\
> 	:sh=false:\
>    :sb=false:\
> 	:mx#0:\
> 	:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>    :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:\
> 	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
> lpc status all                                                                                                                                                                                                           ✔
> lp:
> 	queuing is enabled
> 	printing is enabled
> 	no entries in spool area
> 	printer idle
>

> The printer is a Lexmarks MB2236
>
> I made a blog post about how I installed the printer (look at the `lpr` part).
> With those instructions the printer worked perfectlly.
> I think I have the same configuration, but some thing goes wrong.
>
> If somebody can https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/printing/#printing-lpdsee where the issue is, I will be happy to discuss with.
>
> Thanks for reading me.

sb ("short header") and sh ("suppress header") are both booleans that
are false by default. They need to be specified without an assignment if
you want them to be true. In your case I would skip the sb flag
altogether and specify the sh flag as true, like this:

	:sh: \

See also section 9.5 of the handbook:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/printing/#printing-lpd

Kind regards,