Diskless with 12.x not anymore possible

Roderick hruodr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:40:54 UTC 2021

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

>> ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: no such file or directory
>
> Rod can you share a little more detail on your setup? Ideally enough that somebody else can replicate it and your issue?

There is little to share. No dmesg, because I do not reach the point
of loading kernel.

It is a Futro A220 thin client. No drive. With Free

The following works for FreeBSD 10.4, but not for FreeBSD 12.2,
if I disable APM:

In dhcpd.conf:

host pxe-client {
                 hardware ethernet 00:90:DC:A1:99:9F;
                 fixed-address 10.0.0.11;
                 filename "fbsd104-i386/boot/pxeboot";
                 next-server 10.0.0.1;
                 option root-path "10.0.0.1:/nfsexport/fbsd104-i386";}

In /nfsexport/fbsd104-i386 the unpacked base.tgz and kernel.tfz of
the FreeBSD 10.4 distribution.  In fbsd104-i386/boot/pxeboot
the pxeboot from /nfsexport/fbsd104-i386/boot.

With FreeBSD 11.2 fails, but it loads the kernel, it is other problem
than the cool lua.

> The lua extensions are undeniably cool and also have been in place for over a couple of years now,
> enough for this thread https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/lua-error-can-not-open-boot-lua-loader-lua.68635/ to give you a few more things to try and additional info to provide.

Yes, very cool. And since then there is lots of people having problems as
you see in that link, but the problems are being ignored because
the coolnes of lua blend us.

But the bug report insinuates the problem has other source.

Rod.