Xorg crashes several times a day

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Wed Jan 27 08:00:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:19:58 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>I wish I had an easy way to disable this gvfs automounting stuff in
>FreeBSD's Xfce or Mate, then I'd probably switch to sysutils/automount
>or something like that.

mv /path/to/gvfs/file_1_2_3_n /getoutoftheway/path/to/gvfs/file_1_2_3_n

Since by Xfce4 upstream gvfs is anyway just an optional dependency of
Thunar, you should get rid of Thunar's trash support, mounting with
udisk and remote filesystems. Mate upstream makes gvfs a hard
dependency for Caja, but actually you can treat it as an optional
dependency, too. It results in the same as for Thunar. You don't render
Xfce4, Thunar, Mate or Caja useless, you just get rid of gvfs
"features". The same as for Mate and Caja applies to Cinnamon and Nemo,
Gnome and Nautilus and any other Xfce4, Mate, Cinnamon or Gnome app
that "depends" on gvfs. If you mv or rm gvfs related files or as I do,
if you don't install them in the first place, it breaks absolutely
nothing, even if apps where build against gvfs. I've got one or the
other app installed by a Linux package, that was build against, IOW
with gvfs and just replace the gvfs package by a package, that does
include nothing. This package only fakes that gvfs is installed to fool
the package management.