Xorg crashes several times a day

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Wed Jan 27 02:47:33 UTC 2021

The grass is always greener on the other side.

On Wed, 2021-01-27 at 09:13 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> I think it's time to migrate to Linux for a desktop (after >20 years
> on FreeBSD).

Linux is a good choice to meet several needs, but Linux isn't a good
choice to get rid of Intel GPU issues, see
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2021-January/292754.html .

> 2. Cyrillic filenames support in gvfs (or whatever that removable media
> automounter is called).

  [root at archlinux rocketmouse]# pacman -Si gvfs | grep Description
  Description     : Virtual filesystem implementation for GIO

GIO is for Gnome Input/Output

Personally, I believe it's better to stay away from gvfs and GNOME, but
to fulfill dependencies against gvfs by installing empty dummy packages.

I'm using Linux every single day, mainly Arch Linux, second most Ubuntu.

  [root at archlinux rocketmouse]# pacman -Qi gvfs | head -3
  Name            : gvfs
  Version         : 2013.08.18-1
  Description     : Dummy package
  [root at archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -D /mnt/moonstudio 2>/dev/null dpkg -l gvfs | grep ii
  ii  gvfs           2016:07-13-m all          Dummy package

;)