clamd appears to hanging

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 25 10:01:03 UTC 2021

> On 24 January 2021, at 08:09, David Banning <david+dated+1611936580.6d1518 at skytracker.ca> wrote:
>
> I just installed clamd on an older version of Freebsd. Freshclam appears to be working fine,  but clamd seems to hang, which prevents my server from booting.
> I don't see anything in the log;
>

> Any pointers towards getting this up and running would be helpful.
> The Freebsd version and Clamd version are noted at the beginning of the log.

Clamd may be waiting on freshclam.  However, it still takes clamd "forever" to load the virus database.  You have 2 options:

1.  If you connect to the machine via ssh, then edit /etc/rc.d/sshd and add FILESYSTEMS to the REQUIRE line.  That will cause sshd to become active before clamd tries to start up.  You will be able to poke around and see what is going on.

2.  If you use a directly connected terminal, then disable clamd and freshclam in /etc/rc.d.  Boot up and then start them up manually.  You do need to run freshclam first though.

In any case, be prepared to wait a long time for clamd to start.

-- Doug