Xorg crashes several times a day

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 24 15:34:46 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 21:28:11 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> But really, is the graphics/drm-kmod port really necessary and why?

Modern X hooks deeply into kernel structures, direct rendering
is the default, there is no text mode anymore, and Linux is the
primary driver for the graphics stack. So - you're stuck with
KMS if you want to use X. :-(

This particular port is a meta-port that contains several drivers
for various brands and models, and it requires the kernel source
to be able to actually compile the modules.

> The
> default FreeBSD installation already contains /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko
> and /boot/kernel/drm2.ko, and I load them from rc.conf.
>
> Is anything wrong with them?

Wrong binary interface, if I remember correctly, that's why
it was neccessary to recompile them manually, and use them
instead of what the OS provides.

Strange, isn't it? :-)

--
Polytropon