Somewhat OT: Mail Relay Services

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Sun Feb 28 23:23:29 UTC 2021

On 2/28/21 2:01 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 2/28/21 12:25 PM, matt at gsicomp.on.ca wrote:
>> Like anything to do with email, it's not entirely as simple as it sounds.
>> DuoCircle requires per-domain setup via their UI ("permitted senders"), plus
>> you need to set up SPF and DKIM keys for each domain.
>> This was a hard slog for 100+ domains but has been entirely worth the
>> initial effort and ongoing cost to avoid mail delivery complaints from
>> customers that are entirely beyond my control.
>
> Thanks Matt (and everynone else who had suggestions) -
>
> This seems to work just fine, as evidenced by the headers in this
> very email.

I need to study DuoCircle some more but this:

Multiple Delivery Ports

Need to get around an ISP restriction or firewall blocking outbound
SMTP. We accept message relays on following ports: 24, 25, 26, 587,
2525, 10025, 5252.

is *very* enticing.  Huh.  That seems like it would solve a bunch
of problems a VPS outgoing SMTP server might have.  I like
the authentication options too.

I am getting excited to be able to exterminate (almost)
centurylink's ability to destroy my online presence.

Thanks everyone, this has been a very helpful discussion.

Russell