Error code 1 when building plasma5-sddm-kcm

Walter von Entferndt walter.von.entferndt at posteo.net
Fri Feb 19 16:18:00 UTC 2021

At Freitag, 19. Februar 2021, 13:00:03 CET, Steven Friedrich
<FreeBSD at twc.com> wrote:
> *** Error code 1
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/deskutils/plasma5-sddm-kcm
> I have current ports.  I use svnlite update /usr/ports and
> portmaster -a.  What can I do?

Look into the buildlog.  Maybe you have to tell portmaster to make the
build verbose; I do not remember, since I stopped using that tool when I
realized that *portmaster is broken by design*.  Do yourself a favor &
use ports-mgmt/poudriere or ports-mgmt/synth instead & pkg delete
portmaster.  They build in a fresh, clean environment; in contrast,
portmaster does not & that causes all kind of weird issues.  Last not
least portmaster clutters your machine with ports or packages that are
needed as build dependency, and unless your're a developer you don't
need these otherwise.  Building unjailed is only justified for self-
contained ports (those that do not need to be compiled, all is in the
ports' files/ subdirecory, some useful scripts are distributes this way)
& ports that have a very limited number of dependencies, e.g. the *-kmod
ports.  This does clearly not apply to any KDE or Qt software.

Synth may be easier for the average enduser who does not need
poudriere's advanced features (espc. build profiles).  Both build tools'
performance will drastically benefit from leveraging devel/ccacche and/
or devel/distcc.

FYI portmaster is beeing rewritten in LUA.  Once the new version is
available & stable, I will stop advocating against it (iff it also fixes
the underlying design issues).

Feel free to file in a bug report for the doc/*-freebsd-doc: the
Handbook must not reference portmaster.  It calls itself "master", while
it's procedures are (at least) naive, to say it politely.  Some are
worse than O(N^2)...
--
=|o)  "Stell' Dir vor es geht und keiner kriegt's hin." (Wolfgang Neuss)