Slight OT: How to run existing FreeBSD on windows as a VM

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 08:21:20 UTC 2021

I have two SSD's one that has FreeBSD installed on it and one that has
WIndows 10 on it.

I want to run the windows SSD as a VM on FreeBSD and the FreeBSD on windows
as a VM.   How can I do this without having to reinstall either one.  I am
pretty sure how to do the first case since I have played with bhyve quiet
extensively including doing by hand windows VM's on it and am pretty sure
all I have to do is point bhyve to the right /dev node (I have done this
before with raw disks for FreeBSD but not windows).

I am completely unfamiliar with how to do VM's on windows though and except
for knowing there are hypervisors for it am completely clueless about how
to do that end.