vi editor

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 2 23:22:23 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:11:48 -0500, LuMiWa wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 23:21:48 +0100
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 05:21:55 -0500, LuMiWa via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > > I do not what happened but yesterday when I start typing it doesn't
> > > respond on the keyboard immediately. I need to type from 5 to 10
> > > times and than start. I never had the same problem in 20 years.
> > > For user I have ksh93 shell and root sh but on the both are the
> > > same.
> >
> > A few questions:
> >
> > Does this delay affect shell interaction already, or is it present
> > only in vi?
> >
> > Does it happen inside an X session (terminal) or at the console?
> > If inside X, which input method are you using, and how?
> >
> > Do you use the system locally or via network connection?
> >
> > Lagging _could_ be a problem of networking (if networking is
> > involved here). But any program generating system load could
> > interfere with input processing, so check "top" output for
> > any suspicious values. Also try "reset" to get rid of any
> > terminal misconfiguration that might have happened.
> >

> I am sorry hat I didn't sent an email about my mistake or. better the
> keyboard problem. I had the old Cherry which is connected with adapter
> to usb port and I had sometimes problem but never with vi.

Regarding USB (and especially converters from PS/2 to USB):

Sometimes, they are discovered by the kernel _after_ the login
prompt has been displayed, i. e., after booting completed. No
idea why, probably a "slow" firmware inside the converter that
needs some time to load.

Sidenote: I am currently using an IBM model M keyboard with
such an adapter, or to be precise, a chain of adapters (HIL to
DIN, DIN to PS/2, PS/2 to USB), really _sometimes_ the keyboard
isn't present yet when the system displays the XDM login screen;
a few seconds later, it works as expected. And it will continue
working after I have turned to dust many years in the distant
future... ;-)

So what you've been observing could be fully normal for your
hardware setting (including the "sometimes" aspect). Also note
that even though USB is a fundamental part of the kernel, the
kernel changes, therefore "detection order" might be affected
after a system (or kernel) upgrade.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany