DKIM

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 22 18:26:05 UTC 2021

On 8/22/21 12:57 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 12:05 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> How strange you would say that. I was posting you into the same age
>> category as myself. Back then when I was young, we didn't use web
>> search engines at all. They didn't exist (at least for us living where
>> I lived). We just were reading the book that came with [personal]
>> man pages (and had in addition ergonomic, and whatever suggestions on
>> started to use man command [do not remember when I first did].
>
> You aren't mistaken. I was born in 1966. I live in Germany and we always
> were way behind with anything Internet related. Due to the corona
> pandemic we now clearly see how many decades we are still behind.
>
> My bookshelves were overloaded with computer software and computer
> hardware books.
>
> An example I've got at hand, it's still in a bookshelf, while many books
> are in cartons:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/2w6OKS9.jpg
> https://i.imgur.com/1o7399J.jpg

Wow, it is interesting to read Deutsch with some clearly English, at
least abbreviations (BIOS,...)

I do like the calipers!! I do have similar of my own (in addition to
electronic one).

> "The Times They Are a-Changin'" we probably do not use Assembly, BASIC
> or Turbo Pascal to use BIOS routines. IOW we also not necessarily start
> learning by reading man pages, instead for the good and the bad, a
> search engine can be used.

Pascal... I first learned Algol (and a bit of FORTRAN), so Pascal went
for me as a "flavor of Algol" :-) Then we had quite efficient Borland
Pascal, and several of us remember it... and once with one of such
people, passing by BP (British Petroleum) gas (benzene) station, I said:
oh, you see: Borland Pascal ;-)

>> Many non-technical people use google mostly, just because they never
>> tweak away what is in default settings. And browsers (spare Microsoft
>> and Apple) play it into google hands.
>
> That's a good point, but it also explains why Google has got so much
> more information than other search engines. Information that can be used
> for mind reading, if people don't use smart search terms.

There is one more thing to it. In many places it is pushed on technical
people by bureaucrats from above, that "your website must have google
related content info, and it must have embedded link to google
analytics"... There you have it.

This thing in the past was considered at least not a decent thing to do
to your website visitors: their browser MUST NOT be made going to any
external URLs while on your website. Not these days. The measure of
"decent behavior" ah, not even changed, it is fully ignored ;-(

But on the other hand, majority of people are sort of clueless, and do
not care, so those who do care are in minority and bound to suffer. Like
in, what Europeans will not like to hear, as they like democracy, but I
still will say it: democracy by the definition is dictatorship of
majority over minority ;-)

Valeri

>> One of my friends even made a joke: do you ask google how much money
>> you have left in your wallet?
>
> :D

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator