DKIM

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Sun Aug 22 17:57:24 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 12:05 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> How strange you would say that. I was posting you into the same age
> category as myself. Back then when I was young, we didn't use web
> search engines at all. They didn't exist (at least for us living where
> I lived). We just were reading the book that came with [personal]
> man pages (and had in addition ergonomic, and whatever suggestions on
> started to use man command [do not remember when I first did].

You aren't mistaken. I was born in 1966. I live in Germany and we always
were way behind with anything Internet related. Due to the corona
pandemic we now clearly see how many decades we are still behind.

My bookshelves were overloaded with computer software and computer
hardware books.

An example I've got at hand, it's still in a bookshelf, while many books
are in cartons:

https://i.imgur.com/2w6OKS9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1o7399J.jpg

"The Times They Are a-Changin'" we probably do not use Assembly, BASIC
or Turbo Pascal to use BIOS routines. IOW we also not necessarily start
learning by reading man pages, instead for the good and the bad, a
search engine can be used.

> Many non-technical people use google mostly, just because they never
> tweak away what is in default settings. And browsers (spare Microsoft
> and Apple) play it into google hands.

That's a good point, but it also explains why Google has got so much
more information than other search engines. Information that can be used
for mind reading, if people don't use smart search terms.

> One of my friends even made a joke: do you ask google how much money
> you have left in your wallet?

:D