Why is freebsd-update so horrible slow?

Gökşin Akdeniz goksin.akdeniz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 08:36:14 UTC 2021

Hello,

I suppose my humble opinions and advices may help.

Download speeds depends vary widelydepending of many actors. LAN speed
do not guarantee the "full-speed". I have gigabit LAN but ISP offeres
IPv4 connection with 100 Mbps which I can experience 80 Mbps at ideal
conditions. "Usual speed" for FreeBSD-UPDATE servers onrelease dates is
about at 50-60 Mbps. I wait for a couple of days before I upgrade any
systems.

Besides, servers handling upgrade requests and network infrastructure
they are connected, may be overloaded and may lead to "poor performance".

Metwork performance may vary due to number of clients and hosts, routing
of packages, jitter, resending of packages du to TTL and package loss,
congesteg nodes and routes and etc.

I advise, waiting for a couple of days or so before attempting to upgrade.

And ypu may replace existing installations with any OS of your choice.