installed FreeBSD from mfsbsd, but cannot update

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 00:58:18 UTC 2020

On Friday, September 4, 2020, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com>
wrote:
> On 2020-09-04 08:36, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>
>> Dear kind FreeBSD users,
>>
>> I have installed freebsd 12.1-RELEASE from mfsbsd
>
> I assume mfsbsd meets its author's needs.  If it does not meet your
needs, perhaps your should contact the author:

> https://mfsbsd.vx.sk/
>

> Or, perhaps you should use an official FreeBSD installer:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/announce.html
>

> For "Partitioning", choose "Auto (ZFS)" and you will be able to set the
swap size.

> As there is no obvious way to set the boot or root sizes, consider
installing onto a small SSD -- to facilitate backups, restores, and
migrations.  I find that 16 GB devices are sufficient for lightweight
graphical workstations.

>> with ZFS and I
>> configured SWAP like I wanted to 4GB of SWAP or 2G is not enough.  I
>> have experience many crashes.
>
> If your machine is swapping heavily, you need more memory.
>

>> I try to run # freebsd-update fetch and it fails
>
> Please consider this:

> Technical support requires facts.  Always install SSH, so that you can
use ssh(1) and/or sshfs(1).  If SSH fails, use a USB flash drive and
"sneaker net".  As a last resort, use a camera and transcribe.  Copy and
paste exact and complete console sessions into support requests and replies
-- prompt, command entered, and output obtained.

> David

Dear Sir,

I appreciate your help.  I could not get it to work because one partition
needs to be root "/" and it was named "zfs-root" or similar.  I will have
to try again. I had installed before using mfsbsd, but I used guided and
autozfs and swap was 2 or 4 GB, but en I tried to build rust for firefox I
ran out of swap space.  Machine has 8GB of ram, but nonetheless crashed.
 I wanted to create a 16 GB swap partition to build rust Firefox and other
power hungry apps that require it.  I erased the hard drive several times
and in the end I blew the hardrivw and machine does not power up with the
hard drive.  So I will need to get another disk and try again.  I ran tests
and hard drive passed on to the /dev/null .
 Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Antonio