OT: proof that Linux is brain damaged

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:21:13 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:13 PM Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> On 2020-09-04 11:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 10:48:11 -0400, Vlad D. Markov wrote:
> >> When criticizing systemd, I think the criticism should be directed at
> >> the distributions forcing its use. Linux doesn't have much to do with
> >> it.
> >
> > Apart from the embedded systems you described, it's probably not wise
> > if a Linux distro diverts from using systemd, since systemd is quasi
> > the standard init system and it's bundled with at least udev.
> > Maintaining a different init system, while maintaining udev or
> > something else from systemd, for usage without systemd, seems to me way
> > to much effort, even when being in favour of Linux. However, if
> > somebody is really that tired of Linux, as the OP is, I wouldn't care
> > about Linux at all, especially not since the OP doesn't need to search
> > for an operating system that fits to his needs. He already seems to be
> > satisfied with FreeBSD, so there's no problem at all.
>
> My sentiment exactly.

Except for one problem if you use FreeBSD as a desktop you're forced to
deal with the systemd stupidity because Xorg (and wayland) refuse to
believe that the entire universe does not use their prefered brain dead
OS.   So it is not academic if you are using FreeBSD for more than just a
server.  Even then unless you want to use plain vanilla Apache then you are
forced to deal with it to some degree for example even though the Java team
for FreeBSD has done a good job removing it as much as possible from
openjdk there is still some weirdness there.   VirtualBox has not been able
to successfully compile anything newer than 5.X because of the same
problems.

So saying "if you like FreeBSD and hate systemd/linux then use FreeBSD" is
not really an option due to the viral nature of systemd and the laziness of
developers who use it.

TL;dr -- Due to many reasons just ignoring the problem because your on
FreeBSD is not an answer