Problems with FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Fri Oct 30 09:47:35 UTC 2020

Hi Kevi,

Am 30.10.2020 um 00:15 schrieb Kevin Oberman:
> Should be no reason to install MOST ports on a minor upgrade like 12.1
> to 12.2. I certainly have not found any need. For major version
> upgrades, it is recommended that all ports be reinstalled though only
> a minority actually need it. It's just hard to be sure which ones.
>
> The big exception is ports that provide kernel modules. Most of these
> will work after a minor upgrade, but a few are rather touchy. The most
> touchy, in my experience, are the drm-kmod ports and, a bit less so,
> virtualbox-ose-kmod. I keep full sources on my systems, so I just add
> them to PORTS_MODULES in /etc/src.conf so that they are built with my
> kernel.
> PORTS_MODULES= emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
> PORTS_MODULES+= sysutils/lsof
> PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
> I realize that this can be a problem for some, but one system of a
> given architecture can build a package that can be added to all others.
>
> A special case is lsof. lsof actually looks through certain kernel
> sources to build some things and it is important that you either have
> a package built against the sources for the current kernel or that you
> build the port against the correct contents of /usr/src/sys/. You
> don't need full sources... just the kernel. I don't believe that any
> other port has such a requirement except kernel modules.

you are fully right and this should be the case.
But for me it was not. TLS connection were not working (postfix,
dovecot), rspamd crashed (refused to start with bus error).

After reinstalling all packages all problems were fixed.

Maybe this is related to the fact that the compiler was replaced and the
12.1 binaries do not really work together with the new 12.2 environment.

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook