Problems with FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:15:24 UTC 2020

Should be no reason to install MOST ports on a minor upgrade like 12.1 to
12.2. I certainly have not found any need. For major version upgrades, it
is recommended that all ports be reinstalled though only a minority
actually need it. It's just hard to be sure which ones.

The big exception is ports that provide kernel modules. Most of these will
work after a minor upgrade, but a few are rather touchy. The most touchy,
in my experience, are the drm-kmod ports and, a bit less so,
virtualbox-ose-kmod. I keep full sources on my systems, so I just add them
to PORTS_MODULES in /etc/src.conf so that they are built with my kernel.
PORTS_MODULES= emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
PORTS_MODULES+= sysutils/lsof
PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
I realize that this can be a problem for some, but one system of a given
architecture can build a package that can be added to all others.

A special case is lsof. lsof actually looks through certain kernel sources
to build some things and it is important that you either have a package
built against the sources for the current kernel or that you build the port
against the correct contents of /usr/src/sys/. You don't need full
sources... just the kernel. I don't believe that any other port has such a
requirement except kernel modules.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com