What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Sun Oct 25 21:52:41 UTC 2020

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 11:39:48 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>On 2020-10-25 05:54, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Please explain how galvanic isolation relates to electrostatic
>discharge mitigation.

That's a misunderstanding.

>Please explain the risk(s) associate with antistatic wrist straps.

IMO it's a risk for a human being to wear an antistatic wrist strap,
when getting in touch with gear that is connected to the mains.

IMO if the gear isn't directly connected to the mains, because an
isolating transformer grants galvanic isolation, an antistatic wrist
strap isn't a risk for a human being.

An antistatic wrist strap protects the gear against static charge, but
might be risky for a human regarding potential equalization, assuming
something should be fishy, such as a hot metal case. Once the human
touches the hot metal case a fault current breaker should detect that
something is missing, but galvanic isolation is way more secure than a
breaker that probably is missing that something is missing.

Actually the fault current breaker should already do it's job, when the
metal case is hot, already before a human does touch it. If it doesn't,
then touching the metal case might be dangerous with or without
wearing an antistatic wrist strap.

However, galvanic isolation is absolutely safe, unless getting in
contact with both conductors, which is impossible in our scenario and
even very unlikely when repairing gear.