What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Oct 25 18:40:01 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-25 05:54, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 07:51:12 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>>
>>>    >bot swap drive bay
>>>
>>>    A hot swap drive bay inherits the risk of a damage by static
>>>    electricity when changing drives.

Computer disk drives, solid-state drives, flash drives, etc., are all
ESD sensitive.  ESD precautions should be taken whenever they are
handled, regardless of mounting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

> This is less related to the used hot swap drive bay or disk, it's
> depends more on the clothes or flooring.

+1  Also shoes, seat cushions, work surfaces, other equipment, other
workers, etc..

> IMO we shouldn't wear
> an antistatic wrist strap, unless the used gear is connected by galvanic
> isolation.

Please explain how galvanic isolation relates to electrostatic discharge
mitigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_device#Antistatic_wrist_strap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation

> I don't have my computer gear connected by isolating > transformers

Please provide a URL for an isolating transformer that can mitigate
electrostatic discharge,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_transformer

> and I don't trust fault current circuit breakers,

I agree that circuit breakers, ground-fault circuit interrupters, and
arc-fault circuit interrupters will not mitigate electrostatic discharge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interrupter

Do you have some other kind of circuit breaker in mind?

> so IMO
> wearing an antistatic wrist strap is not without a risk,

Please explain the risk(s) associate with antistatic wrist straps.

David