Adding a laptop with defected 2nd/GPU to the Wiki

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Oct 12 23:27:36 UTC 2020

sasha vigole <sasha.vigole at vigole.com> writes:

> On 09/10/2020 00:35, sasha vigole wrote:
>> Hi, I have to test/post, technical info of two laptops to the wiki.
>> I'm familiar with procedure, and it's not a hardware diagnostic post.
>> One of the laptops works OK with FreeBSD, but its 2nd/GPU is
>> defected.
>> If I post its info to the wiki, it's going to lack info about 2nd/GPU.
>> Official specs at the Lenovo, states that this laptop has a 2nd/GPU.
>> Should I post such non-complete technical information to the wiki,
>> or
>> it's not appropriate and it's going to confuse some users.
>>

> I'll post the result to the wiki ASAP, setting the defected 2nd/GPU's
> "Status" to: "Present but status unknown or untested".
> Meanwhile, I'm happy to hear your suggestion/correct, regarding such
> issues, and I'll change related status accordingly. Thanks.

Unfortunately, handling these issues can be quite tricky.

Telling the differences between tiny variations of "the same
chip" can (usually) require vast amounts of time, and that's
with the company selling the chip being extremely generous in
the amount of time they're willing to expend in documenting
the differences.

Good luck.