Keyboard and mouse not working after X update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 31 19:41:10 UTC 2020

I have upgraded today a HP Pavilion DM-1 laptop (from 2011),
and without any surprise, the OS upgrade went as expected,
but on the application side, there are problems. The upgrade
process has been performed as per the handbook, from 12.0-p?
to 12.1-p5. I also reinstalled all software via pkg.

Problem: In X, the mouse is no longer working. The keyboard
seemed to be stuck; I added a "xterm &" to ~/.xinitrc to see
something entirely new: When pressing any key, garbage appears
inside the terminal, it changes font size and position on screen.
I cannot use Ctrl+Alt+PF1 to get back to vt "text mode", so
the only thing I can do is press the power button, and the
system will shut down and power off properly.

NB: "Keyboard" and "mouse" refer to the laptop's built-in
keyboard and mouse.

The graphics in this system is:

vgapci0 at pci0:0:1:0:
    class=0x030000 card=0x1611103c chip=0x98021002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I have installed:

	drm-legacy-kmod-g20200306

for the kernel module, loaded via /etc/rc.conf, as

	kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

and

	xf86-video-amdgpu-19.1.0_1

for X. I chose "legacy" because the laptop is almost 10 years
old (but still in perfectly fine condition, it even has a new
SSD inside).

Also there is no xorg.conf file, just two component files in
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d: keyboard-de.conf (to set the
german keyboard, worked before), and screen.conf (sets the
screen size to the actual hardware size, with the option to
change this for an external CRT display if needed). This is
exactly as before, when it worked.

During boot, I get the following messages:

	info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
	drmn0: =======================================================
	drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg
	drmn0: =======================================================
	drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
	drmn0: =======================================================
	drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg
	drmn0: =======================================================
	drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers

You don't say! That's exactly what I did! In /etc/rc.conf, I have

	kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

as suggested by the handbook.

Further messages:

	drmn0: <Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]> on vgapci0
	info: [drm] Initialized radeon 2.29.0 20080528 for drmn0 on minor 0

Then, on the display, I can see the X desktop fine, with IceWM,
wbar, even the xv-controlled background image appears, and
the xterm, in which only garbage appears when I press keys
on the keyboard.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I get the following message:

	[   769.536] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)

So I rebooted and installed

	xf86-video-ati-19.1.0_3,1

with the result that now the screen goes black. When I press
the spacebar (or Enter, or the shift key!), I hear several beeps,
and I expect the xterm (which I now cannot see) to fill with
garbage as before.

Now xf86-video-ati has been deleted. Why did X try to load it?

Of course I also have installed

	ibudev-devd-0.4.1

And I have set

	kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6

in /etc/sysctl.conf.

The X log file is no big help. It looks as if it loaded VESA (???)
even though all required components should now be installed.

I'm obviously missing something important here. What could it be?

Never touch a running system... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany