best sound subsystem for freebsd for a desktop

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue May 19 16:05:52 UTC 2020

On Tue, 19 May 2020 17:38:39 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>> 3. system noises like you'd expect from a desktop
>
>Depends on the desktop environment you use, and how it is
>configured to entertain, erm annoy the user. I don't expect
>a desktop to make any noises, unless the head is banged
>onto it. :-)

The bell, aka as PC speaker beep, could be a useful desktop sound,
unless the user does run vi.

Vi is obviously used much on the bridge of the Enterprise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKBvaOLDem0

Joking apart, desktop sound is not just an annoyance, it is also a
serious risk, especially if different sources could access audio output
at the same time.

Imagine you set the wanted level for the trash bin sound, after that
you watch a very silent video. You increase the volume of the amplifier
much, to listen to the video and after watching and listening the
video, you move it to the trash bin, without decreasing the volume
first. The trash bin sound could blow the speakers.