best sound subsystem for freebsd for a desktop

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue May 19 14:19:47 UTC 2020

Hello,

What's in thes list's opinion would be the "best" sound setup for a freebsd
desktop? The use case is this:

1. things like youtube videos, twitter multimedia, playable on firefox,
2. vlc for streaming etc
3. system noises like you'd expect from a desktop
4. 12.1-stable
5. pcm3 Realtek ALC1150 2+1 config

Reason for the question is partly because there's all kinds of "sound system"
like pulseaudio alsa jack oss ... which is the best for my use case? The other
reason is there seems to be a lag between selecting something to play like a
youtube video and sound coming out. Something like 2-5 seconds; it's annoying
and I have no idea how to diagnose it or fix it. Any clues please?

thanks,
--
J.