Shared object "libnetgraph.so.4" not found, required by "netstat"

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sun May 17 21:25:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-17 14:03, tech-lists wrote:

> I've found the same issue on another VM on another FreeBSD host, completely
> different hardware in a different geographical location, completely different
> VM, only similarity is it's kept up-to-date with freebsd-update. In this case
> the server hosts 2x bhyve VMs. Both were brought up to 12.1-RELEASE-p5 with
> freebsd-update. Only one shows the problem.
> This is definitely a FreeBSD problem. I don't have a clue what could be
> causing it though.

It certainly seems so from the information you have provided - but on
the other hand, a general problem that rendered 'netstat' unusable
would probably have gained a lot more attention, since 'netstat' isn't
just something that is run in the "daily report", but a very
fundamental tool for examining all kinds of network properties.
Personally I have 3 hosts with 12.1-RELEASE and one with 12-STABLE
post 12.1-RELEASE, and none of them exhibit this problem.

I don't use freebsd-update though, so one possibility might be that it
caused this breakage - but a lot of people do use it, and AFAIK none
of them have reported a problem like this. Additionally, AFAICS there
hasn't been any updates to libnetgraph after 12.1-RELEASE - the last
libnetgraph update on the 12 branch seems to be at svn r348827, while
12.1-RELEASE was at r354233 - i.e. it seems extremely unlikely that a
broken freebsd-update update is the cause.

I.e. it might be a FreeBSD problem, but if so, there is something
specific to your environment that is triggering it...

--Per