[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sat May 16 17:57:41 UTC 2020

On 18 Feb 2020, at 07:08, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I have workstation (desktop) running FreeBSD.

But you are in a tiny tiny minority.

> And from what is said on this list, I’m not the only one.

This list is a tiny tiny minority of FreeBSD users, and even here most of us are not using desktop FreeBSD.

12/stable is projected for EOL in 2024. Doesn’t seem too short.

Considering the amount of security that is need4ed to run a system, the life cycles are going to be necessarily shorter between needed updates. The days of sticking a box I a closet and ignoring it for 10 years are, thankfully, long in the past for any responsible admin.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but 'Snowball for Windows’?"