Microsoft Teams for Linux

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu May 7 12:24:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, 7 May 2020 14:43:46 +0300, Alexandr Krivulya commented:
>06.05.20 10:09, Maciej Suszko пишет:
>> Just adding freebsd-questions list - anyone here who tried to run or
>> use Microsoft Teams web/app ?
>>
>> On 5/5/20 2:52 PM, Maciej Suszko wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone tried to use Microsoft Temas either web
>>> version or desktop app... Web version does work but making
>>> audio/video call isn't officialy suppported, so you need to spoof
>>> user-agent to make it partially working - but from time to time MS
>>> change something and it just stop working. In the past weeks I was
>>> able to make audio calls, now it's not possible (neither Firefox
>>> nor Chrome)
>>>
>>> I tested my webcam and mic on https://www.onlinemictest.com/ and
>>> it's all working, so problematic is the web application from MS.
>>>
>>> Desktop application - here are two options, one for Linux, one for
>>> Windows. I tried to run the Linux version using linuxulator,
>>> brandelf-ing all the binaries but with no success...
>>>
>>> #v+
>>> tlhscd at arsenic:/tmp/teams/share/teams $ ./teams
>>> Trace/BPT trap (core dumped)
>>> #v-
>>>
>>> How do you think - are there any chances to make the desktop app
>>> working in out FreeBSD desktops?--
>
>Yesterday I tried to call my colleague via Microsoft Teams web-app
>(latest Firefox on CURRENT, spoofed User-Agent). Yes, there is no
>audio and video at all in both directions.
>
>If I run desktop version with linux strace and it crashes. I think it
>because of unimplemented cgroups calls. Both Microsoft Teams and Skype
>are Electron applications, that tries to run chromium in isolated
>environment.
 <Truncated by me>

There is information on
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-clients> that
should assist you. It clearly states that "FIREFOX" is NOT SUPPORTED.
"Spoofing" a user agent is a waste of time. "You cannot make a silk
purse out of a sow's ear." Now, Google Chrome, the latest version plus
two previous versions are FULLY SUPPORTED. Install that and then see
what happens.

By the way, I made a suggestion on the TEAMS page that FreeBSD should
be supported since they support Linux. I have already received a couple
of "Thumbs UP" responses.

--
Jerry