Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 4 06:50:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, 4 May 2020 01:55:21 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Russell L. Carter wrote:
> >
> > I print to an HL-L2340DW by using CUPS to remotely print to
> > a Debian CUPS that has it configured as a "driverless" printer:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
>
> Is it connected to the Debian system as a local (USB) printer or a
> networked printer?
>
> Nevertheless, I don't want fancy graphics from it, I just need a line
> printer to print out configs, logs and such. It comes as a surprise to
> me that I would need "drivers" to print ascii text. It's something every
> printer understands, including my first dot matrix Epson in 1992 or
> something where you could print with "type file.txt > lpt1" in DOS.

That would probably have been:

	> TYPE FILE.TXT > LPT1:

or maybe

	> COPY FILE.TXT PRN:

Note the : in the "special file name" and the fact that those
are still reserved names in current "Windows" versions. ;-)

However, it's really scary that a printer like the one mentioned
here does not seem to understand ASCII text, even though it
supports PCL standard (as shown on the specification page).
Maybe font licenses were too expensive... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany