Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 4 06:27:08 UTC 2020

On Sun, 3 May 2020 10:50:20 -0700, Russell L. Carter wrote:
> I print to an HL-L2340DW by using CUPS to remotely print to
> a Debian CUPS that has it configured as a "driverless" printer:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
>
> I mention this because otherwise it seems like a real hassle to
> install using the Brother drivers.  There are entries in the lists
> where we went through what it would take... a real maintenance
> PITA, no thanks.

I have never really dealt with manufacturer-supplied drivers,
because CUPS brings everything you need, and you can install
HP printer libraries if required (especially for multifunction
inkpee printers). In worst case, I unpack the printer driver
and take the PPD for CUPS - and it works.

> And I don't believe there should be any problem doing what works
> in Debian on FreeBSD.  I tried very hard to get driverless working
> on FreeBSD but failed, and I think it's because of the versions:
>
> Debian: 2.3.1, FreeBSD: 2.2.13 <- up-to-date
>
> However, I am no expert, so I might have done something stupid
> somewhere.
>
> Anyway, options all seem to work, eg two sided printing.

Everything wirll work as long as the printer gets data it can
understand, no matter which protocol is used. The Brother printer
mentioned here seems to understand PCL, which is more than enough
to drive all its features, and generating PCL is definitely not
a problem with CUPS (or gs). :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany