VirtualBox binary not existing

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 2 04:37:32 UTC 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 18:09:53 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I was used to use sh (Bourne sh) under root 21 years ago. So I
> switched it back from csh to sh.
> Wondering why they switched to csh anyway. It is a tastelessness. ;)

On FreeBSD, the C shell has been the default dialog shell
for all users, even for root, at least since 4.0. The
Bourne shell (equivalent on FreeBSD: ash) is only used
for two purposes by default:

	a) in single-user mode, and

	b) for scripting.

I wonder _why_ your root account has been switched from
using csh to sh as dialog shell... that's not the default
setting... Just for fun I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5
(what a convenient and flawless experience, compared to,
okay, I will shut up right away), and root's shell is the
C shell. Per default.

However, I fully agree that the C shell is very selective
in which users it attracts. I'm using it for dialog work,
since 4.0, and I even _prefer_ it over bash in a very few
aspects. However, for developing one-liners that could
grow into real scripts, I use bash (better dialog behaviour
than sh). Decades ago, I even wrote one (as a number: 1)
script in C shell, and I really can not recommend following
my example. ;-)

The only thing I do in plain sh is starting csh or bash.
I also use zsh and ksh from time to time on other systems,
so I get a good impression at "who is good with what".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany