Xdm

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 1 05:06:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 04:39:27 +0000, Brandon helsley wrote:
> I'm on FreeBSD 12.1 with xorg and flux box installed.
>
> In .xinitrc:
> Exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox
> Exec /usr/ local/bin/xdm
> In .xsession is the same.

That is incorrect. It should be, in .xsession:

	exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox

That is the _only_ line needed in that file.

I assume the capitalized "E" in "Exec" is due to your
mobile MUA (which "knows better"). Case matters, and
spaces matter. The 2nd line will never be reached,
because "exec" transfers control ("continue execution
under a different name").

Furthremore, .xinitrc does not metter when you use xdm,
you can ignore it entirely.

> .xsession-errors:
> Exec /usr/local/bin/xsm/ not found

So something has not been installed completely (xsm, the
X session manager, probably a dependency of either X or
Fluxbox). Again, check for the correct spelling.

Solution:

Install xsm and change .xsession accordingly. That should
solve your xdm problem. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany