NFS exports

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Mar 30 12:37:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 01:15:14 -0600
"@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2020, at 07:25, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 06:39:54 -0600 "@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
> >> /mnt/backups -alldirs [IP address of remote machine]
> >>
> >> bad exports list line '/mnt/backups': symbolic link in export path or
> >> statfs failed
> >>

> The extraneous ’s’ was the issue, but there was no /mnt/backups folder or
> symlink. Error message is really misleading; “/mnt/backups does not
> exist” would be much better.

	To be fair to the error message author one good reason for statfs to
fail is a non-existent path, but we both overlooked that aspect of the
message :(

	It would be nice if instead of a list of possible reasons, the
actual detected reason was displayed. But you know - patches always welcome
- nobody capable has yet thought it important/irritating enough to make the
effort (even if the code change is trivial that's not insignificant) and
get it merged. There may even be a really good reason not to do it that
escapes me.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>