Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Mar 17 13:45:04 UTC 2020

Julien Cigar wrote:

> > > that's true, but once you setup a dedicated Poudriere machine,
> >
> > I do have a dedicated Poudriere machine. It can *build* different
> > versions and combinations of PHP/whatever (even that not always unless
> > you build separate -z sets with different make.conf files),
> > unfortunately you cannot *install* them simultaneously.
> >
> > > that all
> > > your deployments are happening in jails,
> >
> > *All" deployments in jails is an overkill.
> >

> why? jails are so lightweight and are created almost instantly..

But upgraded and updated painfully. I still see nightmares about ezjail
on our web-hosting server.

However, I've learnt in this thread of new tools emerging:
sysutils/{iocage,pot,bastille}. So maybe there is hope yet.

> > Using jails will be especially counterproductive in case of PostgreSQL
> > because you will not be able to do smart things like
> > "pg_update --link --old-datadir XXX --new-datadir YYY".
>
> there are workarounds, see 20190829 un ports/UPDATING for an example.

You are right, these are provisional workarounds, while in Debian you
can *run* different instances of different versions simultaneously, they
all will be managed by systemd, started/stopped as regular services etc.

> > > that you use some CMS (like
> > > SaltStack), and that everything is based on ZFS it's a *lot* easier to
> > > maintain on the long term, and you have a lot of flexibility. I think
> >
> > I don't quite agree with you. Keeping multiple jails in an updated
> > state, and building multiple Poudriere sets (combination of packages)
> > for all your service jails is a huge administrative overhead best
> > avoided when not absolutely necessary.
>
> that's what I'm doing here and it's perfectly manageable (with
> SaltStack)..

Is SaltStack something like ansible?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN