Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Mar 17 05:29:46 UTC 2020

Ihor Antonov wrote:

[dd]

> Basically docker "image" is just collection of layers.
> When you work on the dockerfile and
> rebuild it regularly - you don't want to rebuild parts that have not
> changed. And so docker came up with the idea of image layers. Each
> command in Dockerfile creates a layer. And if you did not touch that
> specific line in dockerfile - layer will be re-used
> When you are finished - your "image" is just a resulting set of layers.
> (overly simplified, but the gist of it)

This is what the current FreeBSD jail system is lacking. At best, jail
management systems like ezjail offer two layers: the base jail and the
overlay jail.

This is AFAIK. If someone is better informed please correct me.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/