Centralized user/group/whatever management

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sun Mar 15 09:38:41 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-14 07:07, Victor Sudakov wrote

> So pam_winbind it is, if you want to use AD for user/group management?

Yes.

> Does winbindd not crash any more under FreeBSD?

Not sure what crashes you are referring to, related to which version of
FreeBSD or Samba and from when, but I'm using it heavily and I don't
remember seeing it crashing in years.
It has some quirks, but you can get a working stable config.

> Do you need to also enable winbind somehow in nsswitch.conf?

Sure.
You'll need a couple of lines:
group: files winbind
passwd: files winbind

>> One must simply admit that Active Directory is a wellthought system

One critic I can make is that's it's designed to scale to very big
setups and will probably be overengineering for most (smaller) situations.
Then again, nothing's perfect.

> However first I'd like to find a free, open source solution for a
> Unix-only office. Hope it will not eventually come to buying a Windows
> server to manage Linux and FreeBSD workstations.

I do that without Windows at all.
Just setup a Samba AD DC (or, better, two) and you're done.

  bye
	av.