Mozilla Crasher

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Tue Jun 30 11:40:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-29 19:07, Graham Bentley wrote:

> Thanks for the replies on this. I ruled out fs corruption and tried
> starting Firefox from a term in safe mode.
>
> Even the safe mode dialogue at start up would cause a seg fault.
> It would take out Xorg too and dump me back at cli.
>
> Anyway I am a step close because I discovered that if I run xorg
> without the Intel driver (i915kms) my screen is messed up but
> Firefox runs fine!
>
> On the working install /boot/modules is populated with lots of
> various drivers. On the non working one, it's empty!
>
> I have no recollection at all of building any modules and I'm unsure
> how they got there (but then I have no memory of a lot of things!)
>
> Maybe they where brought in when installing another package?
>
> On the working setup I am running from rc.conf
>
> $ ls -l /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2112672 May 15 03:15 /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
>
> On the non working one;
>
> $ ls -l /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko
> -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  969464 Nov  1  2019 /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko
>
> So it looks like the older driver is related to the issue.
>
> $ dmesg| grep CPU
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570T CPU @ 2.90GHz (2893.38-MHz K8-class CPU)
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
>
> Any tips on how to get the new driver / module installed?

'pkg which' is your friend (at least sometimes:-) -

$ pkg which /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
/boot/modules/i915kms.ko was installed by package drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221

I believe the recommendation is that you use the graphics/drm-kmod
meta-port, in order to get the correct version for your FreeBSD
version - and build the port, not install the package, to make sure it
is in sync with your kernel. Then add to rc.conf

kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

- to make sure that the version from the port is the one that is
loaded (do *not* list it in loader.conf).

--Per Hedeland