freebsd vs. netbsd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 11 13:51:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 15:39:24 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Rrésumé: Apart from "Thunderbird" you unlikely will find any decent GUI
> (or TUI) MUA providing the default to set the cursor above the quotes.
>
> Note! Being able to adjust the settings is not the same as "the
> default". SICR!

Note that even _if_ the MUA (web-based or not) does quote
the message being replied to (normally with quote prefix,
in few cases with header-only), there's nothing (!) stopping
the user from moving the cursor below the quoted text and
starting the actual reply text.

On that way, it's even possible to trim the original message
if needed, and the point _where_ the reply should start (there
can be more than one!) can be selected by the user.

Maybe this sounds snobbish and elitist (my computer is now
stuck in that mode): The user is in charge when he is in
control. Luckily, even the most stupidestest MUAs allow
at least a minimum of control (call it "workaround" if
you want).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany