freebsd vs. netbsd

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Jun 11 12:56:28 UTC 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 08:15:04 -0400, Aryeh Friedman commented:
>On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:03 AM Yuri Pankov <yuripv at yuripv.dev> wrote:
>
>> Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> >
>> > Could you mention a few FLOSS BSD or Linux MUAs that by default
>> > sets the cursor above the quoted text?
>>
>> FWIW, Thunderbird does that by default in new accounts, you have to
>> configure it to do otherwise.
>>

>So does every other GUI/web MUA.   I don't know why it is so hard for
>the FreeBSD community to get that conventions have changed (for better
>or worse I don't know but they have).  I have even had people complain
>about not top-posting because "I can't find your reply" and thus
>almost the entire world (except for a few technical mailing lists)
>either accepts or encourages top-posting.
>
>https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15648928
>https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-masses-utilize-the-top-posting-style-in-email-replies
>https://www.jefftk.com/p/abandoning-bottom-posting

Personally, I find reading a message that has been replied to several
time with a combination of "Top Posting," "Bottom Posting" and "Inline
Posting" to be virtually impossible to follow at some point in time.
Even worse are the number of responders who fail to clip out unneeded
portions of the message. I am aware that there are users who consider
"truncating" parts of a message as blasphemy.  However, without proper
pruning, an email replied to numerous times in a virtual cornucopia of
styles, becomes an unintelligent mess.

Just my 2¢

--
Jerry