freebsd vs. netbsd

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 9 14:41:53 UTC 2020

> On Jun 9, 2020, at 5:05 AM, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 21:21:05 -0500, Valeri Galtsev commented:
>>> On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Wesley <wesley at freenetmail.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> May I ask a question, is it possible for freeBSD community to
>>> develop a nice GUI like Mac OSX? current opensource desktop like KDE
>>> is not behaving as well as OSX in my opinion.
>>
>> This nice GUI like MacOS’s is not necessarily nice in everybody’s
>> opinion. I for one would prefer Mate Desktop. There are several
>> different DEs (Desktop Environments) which I may not like as I didn’t
>> blend into iPad generation, but that may be considered quite
>> comparable to MacOS’s one. Still, compared to MS Widows MacOS's is
>> nicer (my subjective opinion), yet still there is one thing about both
>> of them: you can not choose “dock area” on left, on right (speaking
>> about MS Windows), and you can not remove Apple top bar (“top is
>> reserved for mighty Apple…”). So, Xwindow based DEs cover much wider
>> spectrum of tastes IMHO.
>>
>> But if there is something specific you are after, you can try to
>> describe it, and I bet with so many Experts on this list, you can hear
>> viable advise.
>>
>> Valeri
>>
>>> Thanks.

> Valeri, are you sure about that 'docking on left' statement. I have
> read several articles on exactly how to do it in Win 10. I am not sure
> about older versions though.

If it is possible, then I stand corrected. As one for whom MS Windows is not the favorite system (Microsoft is the only system vendor I know who tell you it is not safe to run their system without 3rd party software: antivirus), I do give them credit, say, for having decently long lifetime of system releases.

And still, as sysadmin, I support all systems. Even more: all systems suck, and thanks to that I have my job. </joke>

Antivirus, well, it is logically flawed thinking. You can not enumerate bad. You can do an opposite thing: enumerate good, and prohibit everything else. Don’t get me started…

Valeri