Minimal skills

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 5 01:54:47 UTC 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 18:27:09 -0700, Donald Wilde wrote:
> On 6/4/20, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> >> I'm busily re-designing smartphones in my 'spare' cycles because they
> >> barely fit my needs for a _phone_!
> >
> > Smartphones are not _designed_ to be used for phone calls. :-)
>
> ROFL VVH! Imagine that! What are they, status symbols of the
> poor and clueless?

Depends. The more expensive they are, the more they are a status
symbol of the rich and clueless. Primarily they are used to monitor
and control people who don't know better because BB LOVE YOU and
everyone needs a smartphone today. :-)

Seriously, I found that conversation quality (both in the audio
parameters and in the content) of smartphones is lower than with
nonsmart mobile phones and regular "landline" phones; I don't
know why. I'm old, so I will never understand what makes those
things interesting, I find them just plain boring. I mean, you
can't even easily program them, what kind of computers are those?

Richard Feynman: "What I cannot create, I do not understand."

> >> It sounds like the MBox format can do
> >> that, so I'll make a transition myself in some near future.
> >
> > Both mbox and MailDir can be used for hierarchical storage.
> > The main difference is that in mbox, you have _one_ file per
> > mailbox, which can lead to big files; in MailDir, you have
> > one file per message, which can lead to many files. Depending
> > on filesystem parameters, one or the other can slow down
> > message retrieval when you have millions of messages.
>
> Thanks for the edu experience, Polytropon! <(_ _)> :D
>
> Nothing can slow things down as much as Windows 10 does, out of the
> box. I have an i7 4-core tower with 16GB of DDR4 and it's a slug that
> I am always worried will do something Very Stupid(TM by MS) to me,
> like reformatting my "damaged" USB key without asking.

Yes, I've seen that and have successfully done excessive
data recovery sessions with the result of such a "repair".

> > As I mentioned, the storage mechamism doesn't actually matter
> > as in the end, it all looks the same to the user:
> >
> > +-----------------------------------------------------+
> > | [] []   [] [] [] []   [] [] [] [] [] []             |
> > +----------+------------------------------------------+
>
> Dang, P! PUNCH CARDS??? <wink>

No, icon bar. Punched cards have a missing corner, like this:

	///SYSIN DD * HOW DID THIS GET HERE?!            |
	|     #  ##   #   ###  ##  ##  ## #              |
	|      #    #  #                 #               |
	|#####          #     #  #   #      #            |
	|##                                              |
	|  # #                   #                       |
	|                     #      #                   |
	|        ## #     # #                            |
	|      #                    #   # #              |
	|              ##                                |
	|                          #       ##            |
	|   #       # #        #       #   ##            |

You can create them yourself with FreeBSD:

	$ echo 'your card text here' | bcd | awk '!/^\// { gsub("[1-9]", " ", $0); gsub("]", "#", $0); print } /^\//'

Pipe that to the printer and enjoy. :-)

See "man bcd" and "man ppt" for details (package "bsdgames",
programs initially belonged to the default OS installation).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany