Mininal skills

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Thu Jun 4 01:27:48 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-03 16:26, Brandon Helsley wrote:
> By "without any skills" I mean that I'm new to computers and am not
> even familiar with the terminology thrown around in the FreeBSD
> community.
>
> I've never heard of this documentation updating, I'd love to learn
> more. Who should I be talking to or where should I be referring to
> so I can learn...
>
> I sent a PR from some account I created about a bug in the loading
> of> the kernel modules for bhyve. I'm starting to think I didn't
> quite format it correctly or rather communicate the issue correctly.
> I heard that filing PR's is also a good starting point to get
> involved. Could someone help me find the documentation that explains
> how to file a PR or update documentation.

Computer Science and Engineering (CS/E) is a huge field.  More
knowledge, projects, and products are added every day.  The canonical
way to learn CS/E is to pursue a CS/E curriculum at a school, college,
or university.

For self-learning, the starting point is to obtain a working personal
computer (PC) and Internet access.  I suggest a Windows or macOS desktop
or laptop computer with at least a dual-core processor, virtualization
support, 4 GB of RAM, and 120 GB of storage.  Get an external USB drive
and set up backups using the vendor-provided tools (e.g. "Backup and
Restore" and "File History" for Windows, and "Time Machine" for macOS).
Do not make any dramatic changes to the PC, and do not attempt to
install FreeBSD or any other operating system (e.g. "dual boot").

To learn FreeBSD, get "Absolute FreeBSD" (AF3E) and read chapters 1-3:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e

Install virtualization software on your PC (I suggest VirtualBox).
Create a virtual machine (VM).  Install FreeBSD on the VM (see chapter 3
of AF3E).  Don't worry if you make mistakes during installation --
delete the virtual machine and start over.  Once you have a working
FreeBSD VM, shut it down and take a snapshot.

Get "Learning the Unix Operating System" and read chapters 1, 3, 4, 5,
7, and 8.  Type the commands shown into the VM and read the manual page
for each command:

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/learning-the-unix/0596002610/

Where you go next depends upon your goals.

David