Keyboard and mouse not working after X update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 1 22:20:32 UTC 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:47:18 +0200, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:40:24 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:43:24 +0200, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> > > On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:13:34 +0200
> > > Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > [...]
> > Okay, as this machine is already "quite old", I should
> > probably not use amdgpu, even though it "somehow works". :-)
>
>  The module was loaded but didn't do anything.

Correct.

And X tried to load "ati", but that didn't work with "amdgpu"
loaded. So the correct _combination_ is important.

>  For AMD cards it really depend on the hardware, I suggest you try both
> and see which one works better.

As I understand, only "radeonkms" kernel module + "ati" X driver
package (uses "radeon" driver) works. If I try "amdgpu" kernel
module + "amdgpu" X driver package, VESA (!) will be used.

> > It now seems to work in X. Testing with "glxgears" again is only 60 FPS,
> > except when I use this:
> >
> > 	% setenv vblank_mode 0
> > 	% glxgears
> >
> > I get almost 1300 FPS, which is much better.
>
>  I don't know why it is better, vsync is needed for good rendering, no
> need to render a frame 20 times if it will be only draw once on the
> screen.

This is, if I remember correctly, only important (here: better)
to check if the calculations performed in the GPU go up to a
certain value, significantly higher than software rendering,
as it _should_ be if the GPU is capable.

The three little gears display smootly. I will experiment tomorrow
with building xlockmore from ports, because the package does not
include the "fire" GL screen saver or the planetary gears to be
run in fullscreen; those are a good test to see if the hardware
rendering kicks in as planned. OpenArena is also good for testing.

I'm glad the update performed from 12.0 to 12.1 didn't force me
to throw the laptop into the garbage can. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany