change in tcsh behavior

matthew at FreeBSD.org matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 28 13:25:03 UTC 2020

On 28/07/2020 12:55, Robert Huff wrote:

> From: Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> To: Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: change in tcsh behavior
> --text follows this line--
>
> Hello:
>
>>   >   > 	How do I go back to the old output?
>>   >
>>   >   Set sysctl kern.tty_info_kstacks to 0.
>>
>>   > 	Umm ... is there a reason this isn't the default?
>>
>>   I think the idea was that it is useful enough to enable it by
>>   default. Otherwise, it would be really hard to discover it. This
>>   change was well received by various developers, and it also had an
>>   revision where the default was changed from 1 to 2 (or something)
>>   to make it a little bit more compact.
>
> 	And if it makes their life easier, then I approve.
> 	However:
> 	1) something visibly changed, that
> 	2) affects the default system shell and therefore a _lot_ of
> 		users, many of which like the old way
> 	3) without warning or documentation (e.g. a single line entry in
> 		src/UPDATING), and figuring out what happened is, in your
> 		words "really hard to discover" for the casual user.

The OP is running 13-CURRENT.  That's the bleeding edge, development
version.  New stuff appears in CURRENT all the time, possibly with
little more notice than a review on Phabricator or a short e-mail
exchange.  Some of what appears is initially buggy.  Some is
experimental and ultimately ends up completely different.  As someone
who has chosen to use the development version, you are expected to be
able to cope.

If you aren't prepared to deal with that, then choose one of the release
versions.  These come with all sorts of niceties, like release notes,
guarantees of ABI stability, no untested code and no massive re-engineering.

The `kern.tty_info_kstacks` sysctl will appear in the next stable
release branch due out later this year.  IIRC it will be present but
default to '0' thus preserving existing behaviour.  (I could be wrong
about that.  I'm trying to recall a conversation on Slack from several
weeks ago.)  In any case, there will be an item in the release notes and
all of the usual sorts of documentation.

	Cheers,

	Matthew